The main types of poetry are:
Haiku
Couplet
Free Verse
Sonnets
Lyric Poetry
Odes
http://www.types-of-poetry.org.uk/ <== (for more examples of different types of poems)
Examples:
Haiku-
None is travelling
by
Basho (1644-1694)
by
Basho (1644-1694)
None is travelling
Here along this way but I,
This autumn evening.
The first day of the year:
thoughts come - and there is loneliness;
the autumn dusk is here.
Here along this way but I,
This autumn evening.
The first day of the year:
thoughts come - and there is loneliness;
the autumn dusk is here.
Couplet-
Sonnet 116
Let me not to the marriage of true minds
by
William Shakespeare
Let me not to the marriage of true minds
by
William Shakespeare
...Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never write, nor no man ever loved.
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never write, nor no man ever loved.
"A Couplets is a Stanza of only two lines which usually rhyme. Shakespearean (also called Elizabethan and English) sonnets usually end in a couplet and are a pair of lines that are the same length and usually rhyme and form a complete thought. William Shakespeare makes use of couplets in more complex rhyme schemes" (Types-of-Poetry, 2005).
Free Verse-
Song of Myself
by
Walt Whitman
by
Walt Whitman
I celebrate myself, and sing myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
I loaf and invite my soul,
I lean and loaf at my ease observing a spear of summer grass
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
I loaf and invite my soul,
I lean and loaf at my ease observing a spear of summer grass
"Free Verse is a form of Poetry composed of either rhymed or unrhymed lines that have no set fixed metrical pattern. The early 20th-century poets were the first to write what they called "free verse" which allowed them to break from the formula and rigidity of traditional poetry. The poetry of Walt Whitman provides many illustrations of Free Verse including his poem "Song of Myself". (Types-of-Poetry, 2005).
Sonnet-
O thou my lovely boy
by
William Shakespeare
by
William Shakespeare
O thou, my lovely boy, who in thy power
Dost hold Time's fickle glass his fickle hour;
Who hast by waning grown, and therein show'st
Thy lovers withering, as thy sweet self grow'st.
Dost hold Time's fickle glass his fickle hour;
Who hast by waning grown, and therein show'st
Thy lovers withering, as thy sweet self grow'st.
Lyric Poetry-
Dying
(aka I heard a fly buzz when I died )
by
Emily Dickinson
(aka I heard a fly buzz when I died )
by
Emily Dickinson
I heard a fly buzz when I died;
The stillness round my form
Was like the stillness in the air
Between the heaves of storm.
The stillness round my form
Was like the stillness in the air
Between the heaves of storm.
Odes-
Ode To A Nightingale
by
John Keats
by
John Keats
My heart aches, and a drowsy numbness pains
My sense, as though of hemlock I had drunk,
Or emptied some dull opiate to the drains
One minute past, and Lethe-wards had sunk:
My sense, as though of hemlock I had drunk,
Or emptied some dull opiate to the drains
One minute past, and Lethe-wards had sunk:
"Odes are long poems which are serious in nature and written to a set structure. John Keats's "Ode on a Grecian Urn" and "Ode To A Nightingale" are probably the most famous examples of this type of poem" (Types-of-Poems, 2005).
Other websites with more examples and information on poetry and different types of poems:
1. http://www.westga.edu/~scarter/typesofpoetry.htm
2. http://www.bestlibrary.org/murray/2008/05/types-of-poetry.html

Photo by: Stephanie Taylor. September 28th, 2009. 'At The Bar.' http://picturespoetryprose.blogspot.com/.
No comments:
Post a Comment